Saturday, February 15, 2014

House of Cards: Season Two

So this time last year, I decided to write a "Continuous Blog" of Netflix's premier dramatic series, House of Cards. At the time, Netflix's decision to release the entire season all at once for people to watch at their leisure was a novel idea. A year later I still think this a fun and interesting way to release a series. And because of the fact that it easily lends itself to binge watching, I had decided to update one long post with my thoughts after each episode. This way, anyone who wished to watch the show, could do so along with me. Since then we've gotten a few series from Netflix released the same way, and for which I didn't continuously blog  my thoughts about. It was a project I really enjoyed doing. So while the first season of House of Cards wasn't my favorite (I couldn't get over my issues with the writing) it definitely had its quality moments in acting, directing, and style. And because I enjoyed doing my blog so much last year, I figured why the hell not get at it again for the show's second season?

So click through, and below you will find my thoughts of each chapter of the second season. I will update as I go along so yes, there will be SPOILERS. I hope no matter where you are or when you're watching this show, you join me. This day in age, just because we can watch things at our own pace, doesn't mean we can't still do it together.






Season Two, Chapter Fourteen:  
  • HOLY SHIT!!!! POWER MOVE FRANK I'VE BEEN WANTING TO DO THAT FOR OVER A YEAR NOW!!!! 
  • I knew Frank's conversation with Freddy (AKA The Ribs Guy), talking about feeding the pigs slop before bringing the shovel down was going to come into play in a big way. I know enough about metaphors and foreshadowing to know someone was about to be taken out, but I didn't think it was going to be done so literally.
  • And seriously, my jaw is on the floor. And not because being thrown in front of a train is one of my biggest fears, but because that whole situation is almost as bad as last season. It was definitely shocking, but, like last season, it defies all logic. I'm having a really hard time accepting the show's credibility while seeing Frank as a cold blooded killer. Manipulative terrible person? Sure. But a murderer?! Are you freaking kidding me with this? I thought we'd let the Russo stuff slide, like it would be a one time thing--an error of character in the writing and also a scandal worthy event Frank would be trying to cover up for most of the season. But as absurd as this latest train debacle is, I guess I give the show credit for leaning into this characterization and dealing with the issue in an unexpected way. 
  • Overall these decisions take the show down quality-wise for me, but I guess if they are going to insist on making Frank Underwood a character that kills people without the show going completely off the rails, I'm going to have to accept it and continue watching. Which is easy enough. This is our reality now. Frank is a practical man willing to get his hands dirty and I will never ever see this show as a top quality program (unless they REALLY impress me down the road--never say never, people).
  • Now while last year I had my issues with Zoe, her story line towards the end of the first season was coming around for me. I liked her budding relationship with Lucas, that her and Janine put their differences aside and were teaming up to uncover details about Russo's death. The journalism storyline was really pulling me in and I was enjoying it during the premier. And for what it's worth, I really hope Zoe's death means we don't have to say good-bye to her new writing partners, particularly Janine Skorsky (I just really enjoy Constance Zimmer in everything she does. Entourage and Newsroom included).
  • That being said, I could watch this over and over again. And if I may, I'd like to share the first note I wrote down watching this episode: "Are you finished yet?" Jesus Christ Zoe is STILL the worst!
  • Now while that ONE scene was crazy and shocking, and will surely shape the coming episodes, I have to say that overall, it was a strong enough premier with other bold declarations and power moves. Generally I still have a lot of issues with the dialogue, but I guess the writing is another thing I just have to accept as a reality of this show. 
  • Anyway, we picked up RIGHT where we left off last season, which I admire on some level. No backstory or explanation of how we got here. We just keep on chugging along, which makes the fact that this episodes is Chapter 14 rather than Chapter 1 of a new volume, really ring true. Like its characters, the show cut straight through the bullshit and got to the point.
  • This episode we also got a B storyline involving Claire Underwood who is still awesome and terrifying and really just a great character. Or maybe Robin Wright is just such a compelling and talented actress that I don't mind Claire's crazy mood swings and villainy. "I am willing to let your child wither and die inside you if that is what's required." Whaaaaat?! Well that will certainly make anyone beg for mercy.
  • Speaking of Claire, it's sad to me that she is abandoning the whole pregnancy path. But I get the impression from the scene with Gillian that she'd make a terrible, cold, hard-ass mother. A child would make her vulnerable and dependent on others. During that scene in her office, she clearly views Gillian as weak. Coming in to inquire about her health insurance with as much dignity as possible doesn't hide the fact that Gillian is essentially begging, putting Claire in a dominant position. After the exchange, there's no way Claire would willingly weaken herself by becoming pregnant and having the same sorts of worries and vulnerabilities as Gillian. Claire is a strong HBIC and a baby would fundamentally change everything about her. So character-wise, it makes sense for Claire to turn her back on ever having children. And while she didn't necessarily grow in this whole pregnancy-arc, we sure did learn a lot about her. Mostly that she has glimmers of basic humanity and compassion that she easily and willingly suppresses in exchange for power and dominance. So it was a worthy journey all the same. 
  • I don't very much care about Rachel the call girl, so I don't have any thoughts on that. 
  • I'm intrigued by the Whip power play and the new character, Jackie Sharp (AKA Molly Parker AKA Rabbi Ari on Six Feet Under). She is already pretty compelling and it is all definitely something that pertains to my interest.
  • Yay for Christina's new job!
  • And how about that ending? That sure was rousing and fun. Frank finally addressed the audience in the mirror. And the cufflinks sight gag was a really nice touch. From that ending, I just get the impression that this show knows exactly what it wants to be. It will never be perfect, but at this point I'm willing to board the train and let them take me on a crazy Metro ride. 


Chapter Fifteen:
  • There's a lot of emotional suppression and contradiction going on in this episode. Frank is a heartless, cold, and precise manipulator, but still capable of mad rages and willing to throw all propriety out the window to assault a man who assaulted his wife. If it wasn't for Claire, who knows the extent of his actions, but we all saw his intention (I for one don't think it's over). 
  • Then there is Claire herself who is willing to watch your unborn child wither and die but still has the capacity to be undone and wither herself as she relives past traumas. Her monologue in bed--"Every time I picture her pinned down like that I strangle her so she doesn't strangle me. I have to. We have to. The alternative is unlivable"--was the thematic epicenter of this episode. We didn't necessarily need Claire to advise Frank to do the same (a problem with this show's writing is never knowing when to let things be left unsaid) but it was pretty obvious her little speech applied to every single character in this episode.
  • Then there's Jackie Sharp, a hell of an interesting character and a strong woman who throws all compassion, loyalty, and dedication out the window for a little bit of power. She may hate herself for it, but she'll get over it. She's someone eager to get ahead and to do what needs to be done. (More on her in a moment).
  • These characters show glimmers of humanity and raw human emotion only to swallow it back down and rise more strongly than before. They do it in order to not only carry on, but to make great strides towards a certain goal. It shows a certain kind of strength and ability, but not necessarily in any way one would deem commendable.
  • Now take Frank, Claire, and Jackie and compare them to how weak and pathetic Lucas comes across in this episode. He's letting this trauma of Zoe's death bog him down, creep into his head, and affect every single aspect of his life. He's an admirable mess on the hunt for justice, but the way the episode ended with, "Need to hack phone records. The Vice President of the United States" left me with an eye roll and a snicker. His heart is in the right place, and this may lead somewhere interesting, but I have a feeling it's really just going to leave Lucas way worse off than before. And not because Frank will eventually get to him, but because that sort of approach in the world of House of Cards simply doesn't work (I mean, right when Zoe decided to do whats right, she got a one way ticket to the third rail while McGuinness The Rapist got a medal).
  • Back to Jackie Sharp real quick, in just one episode we understood how hard that betrayal was for her, which already makes her a very interesting character. And compared to the other two schlubby whip candidates--Webb and Buckwalter--it's pretty clear only Sharp is capable of filling Frank's shoes. I know many viewers have been eager to see Frank face off with a worthy nemesis and I have a feeling we're seeing that very nemesis in the making. I'd very much like to see her become a worthy adversary. Much more so than Raymond Tusk (who Frank spent the majority of the episode undermining as he attempted to lessen his influence on Garrett The President). And after the loss of Russo, I'm really eager for this show to get a new complex and compelling character. Here's to hoping it's Sharp.
  • While the last episode felt like we were clearing the table, this episode felt like we were laying the cards out again before building up the rest of the season. So far, so good.


Chapter Sixteen:
  • There was less character work and much more plot happening in this episode. Including the introduction of lots of new characters. But let us not disregard the appearance of Joan Holloway's rapist husband, for who Claire may be developing a bit of a crush on. Dun dun dun.
  • Nor should we disregard one of the McPoyle brothers as Lucas's new guinea-pig-loving hacker friend. What would the gang at Paddy's think? At the very least, maybe we'll get some recurring comic relief this season.
  • Speaking of comic relief, seeing the Republican Senators literally being cuffed and carried into the Senate Chamber was a worthy comedic sight gag. I mean, I laughed. 
  • And speaking of the Senate Chamber, much of this episode dealt with behind the scenes Senate dealings that, as a political science student, actually didn't bore me in the slightest. However, I don't work in Washington. And unfortunately the tremendous amount of time I spent in High School Model Congress does not make me qualified to comment on the realities of cloak rooms and quorums. So I'm not going to comment on the whole plot line. However, Talking Points Memo went into the legality of Underwoods Senate maneuvering, so I'll direct you towards them if you really want to get medieval on this parliamentary procedure. 
  • I don't care much about Rachel the Call Girl and I definitely don't care about Rachel the Born Again or her weirdo bus friend (the only friend of Rachel's I care about is her old friend Trisha on Orange is the New Black). But you'd have to be heartless not to respond to how lonely and desperate for friendship she is. 
  • Sharp was given very little to do this episode minus getting inked in a fairly obvious scene that implied her need to feel pain/punishment for her recent actions. She's definitely guilty about exposing people she cares for. And she's turning that internal pain outward in a permanent way--wearing it like a badge in the form of a tattooed poppy (which, ironically, is traditionally used as a pain-reliever). So in case you were wondering, yes that scene was all about PAIN: the need to feel it, to let it in, to conquer it, and to use more pain to cover up existing pain and make it meaningful because life is pain and to make it in this world--especially in politics--you'll need some thick skin to keep the pain at bay. Or something.
  • Lastly: uh oh is Christina banging The President? Girl definitely has a thing for her bosses.


Chapter Seventeen:
  • Well I pretty much loved everything about that episode. 
  • The structure, of keeping Frank trapped in one place while all the action happens around him was a good change of pace. Instead of seeing Frank running everywhere to secure votes (or kill), he was stuck in one room with a man he couldn't manipulate. It was fun seeing someone call Frank out so often. And I also really enjoyed Frank's reactions to Claire's interview.
  • As for the interview, you have to give a television show a ton of credit when all it takes is a character sitting in a chair and talking to have me at the edge of my seat, squirming from one position to another. I love Claire Underwood. Yes she's not a great person, but she also comes across as so human and complex. I don't know if thats due to the writing or Robin Wright or both, but it works. I loved her poise and how candid she was as well as the statements she made and the way she defended herself. I tend to find that women who decide not to have children are often vilified and put on the defensive. Children aren't for everyone and frankly, if someone doesn't feel a paternal instinct, maybe they shouldn't be a parent. And I give Claire credit for standing her ground and basically saying as much. As for the bombshells she dropped, even though they were half-truths (as in yes she was raped but it didn't result in a pregnancy), she did the right thing and did what she needed to do. Too often, victims of assault are afraid to speak out and up until that interview, Claire was one of those victims. I loved how Claire's bravery inspired others and I love that she immediately was willing to speak with other victims and coax them to stand up with her. She is one badass woman and an awesome character. And I can't wait to see everyone lose their minds over this interview in episodes to come.
  • Jackie Sharp Watch: getting the hang of it.
  • Raymond Tusk Watch: MIA, probably bird watching
  • Clueless Lucas Watch: I had a feeling McPoyle could be law enforcement and/or part of Doug's sting to go after Lucas. But it was interesting to discover that McPoyle was really just an informant with no choice but to cooperate.


Chapter Eighteen:
  • Eh, I actually had a hard time taking most of this episode seriously. From the Port Jefferson bridge (which would be ridiculous, terrifying, and very convenient), to the clunky metaphors, to the cheesy dialogue I was left mostly unimpressed.
  • I found everything involving Feng to be over the top. His sexual escapades at the start of the episode, the scene where he's meditating saying he'll wait for the Vice President to come to him like he's some sort of kung fu villain, and his meeting with Frank in the dark forest all had me rolling my eyes.
  • The scene where McPoyle Gavin is visited by his handler who explicitly refers to Gavin as his pet and tells him to sit, which then turned into Gavin barking and being told that if he doesn't obey he'll be put down, was equally ridiculous and clunky.
  • I get that Frank was at a summit, that Civil War reenactments were going on, that he discovered something new about his ancestry, and that he was really feeling connected to the whole thing (hence burying his ring), but going the extra step and using it all as metaphor for facilitating information between the Chinese and the administration was also really overworked. "Make sure I don't ride high." "The bullet grazed my cheek." Ugh, shoot me now because the writing this episode was awful. 
  • Seriously, the writing this episode was straight up bad.
  • Anyway, Lucas finally goes down. I guess I feel for the guy, but he also made it really easy for Doug to orchestrate this whole sting.
  • Claire's storyline remains interesting to me as she paired up with the head of the Women's Caucus on an issue that I know real life Senators like Kirsten Gillibrand care deeply about--addressing sexual assault in the military. Finally meeting the First Lady and getting her involved was a worthy tactic on Claire's part.
  • And while we knew Claire lied in the last episode, I should have known that the risk of her lie being exposed is very real. I don't know if I trust this Seth fellow gunning for Connor's job as Communication Director, but he did show Claire that nothing is certain. If the truth comes to light that her rape didn't end in an aborted pregnancy, it won't matter that she was raped or that she exposed a repeat offender. To keep her credibility/dignity intact, it doesn't seem like Claire has much of a choice except give in and essentially be extorted for a job. 


Chapter Nineteen:
  • This whole episode was like Hammerschmidt's outline: a draft of some big ideas loosely strung together presented way before it can cohesively come together. And I guess I really don't have many thoughts on the episode, but here are a few. I realize they're all kind of a stretch, but I wasn't given much to work with (which, to be fair, is common in the middle of a season). 
  • So obviously there's a heat wave in DC. And like Freddy implied, heat waves make people hot and sweaty, which leads to them being hot and sweaty together. So it's no surprise that in the scene immediately following, we find Remy and Jackie in a hotel room together. Remy is wearing nothing but his chain cross, which is a call back to earlier in the episode. The presence of the cross ties in to Rachel's sanctuary at The Fellowship. But lets not forget this is the same Rachel who, by episode's end, is using her sexuality to try and exert some dominance over Doug. When Doug pulls away Rachel takes a moment to mention Biblical Rachel (who's son grows up to be king) before offering him some food. And if we quickly consider Claire throwing shade Christina's way concerning her relationship with Russo and The President, we get a whole hot mess of couples getting to know each other in the Biblical sense. 
  • Another recurrence I noticed this hour was the idea of partnerships. Some new partnerships coming together (in more way than one) in terms of Remy/Sharp, Rachel/Bus Friend, and Claire/First Lady. Some partnerships falling into old habits in terms of Lucas/Hammerschmidt and Doug/Rachel. And some partnerships in the throes of conflict: Frank/Tusk and Lucas/Janine. Frank refers to the fact that people value self preservation above all else, which is definitely true when it comes to Janine in regards to Lucas. And is absolutely and explicitly true when it comes to Frank and Tusk. However, the difference being that Janine is trying to save herself AND Lucas while Frank and Tusk are essentially trying to destroy each other as they jockey for influence over the President. (As Frank mentioned last year, it's all about location and the ear of the President is prime real estate.) Clearly all the Civil War talk from the prior episode has gone to Frank's head as he begins waging war against The President's most trusted advisor.
  • One more quick thing: the moment I saw Frank with a mitt I was waiting for some cliched, asinine aside with a baseball metaphor, which we actually didn't get. So credit for slightly exceeding expectations.


Chapter Twenty:
  • Frank, as a general rule, is always thinking miles ahead of everyone else around him. He's been making such leaps this season even Claire can barely keep up. This episode, however, the terrain proved rocky. And similar to the painting in Feng's guest room, Frank is forced to pause in this tumultuous landscape and patiently fish for the right information before moving forward. Fortunately, by the end of the hour Frank is racing ahead with a plan in motion.
  • From President Walker lashing out, to Tusk's PAC contributions, to Greyson selling information, and Lanagin's boldness, Frank was being overcome on all sides. To unwind, the Vice President has been getting into Warhammer-esque Civil War battle recreations. And while House of Cards loves piling on the metaphors, I'd say this whole Civil War motif is the theme of the season. That being the case, Frank should probably listen to himself when he remarks, "Massive casualties on both sides. No clear winner." This doesn't bode well and it appears to me that while Tusk has all the money and Frank has all the manpower, no one is really going to come out ahead. But then again, as we saw later in the episode, Frank can very literally turn the table over so who knows, really? Yeah Frank can fix it. Or he can stop thinking through metaphor and man up. Either way, some serious plot is about to go down.
  • I find Doug to be way creepy and he's definitely developed some feelings for Rachel. Those two poor lonely souls could get together, but I think Rachel could do better.
  • I knew Seth Grayson was pretty shady--and I should have seen from the start that he was a Remy/Tusk plant--but he also seems to have a core set of principles. Frank may point out that Seth's biggest asset, the doctor's journal, was all he could ever need to get ahead. His ticket was right there in black-and-white. But it's pretty clear Seth exists in a moral gray zone (Grayson? More like Grayzon-e.) as he values influence and power over money. 
  • Which is definitely not true of Daniel Lanagin, the casino owner who (surprise!) values money over all else. This is something really hard for Frank to understand let alone accept when he's so desperate for a win. 
  • Feng seems to be changing his tune on this Port Jefferson bridge (meaning Port Jefferson would no longer be a Port? Am I supposed to start calling it Bridge Jefferson? And driving all the way to Orient Point for a ferry? These are ridiculous expectations, Feng. Get a real job.)
  • Gotta love seeing Frank and Claire work their magic on The President and First Lady. Damn they know what they're doing.
  • I'm kind of afraid to see what Frank will do to that reporter who has been snooping around...but I'm even more afraid to see what he'll do to Freddy when he sells out.
  • Sharp is turning out to be not so interesting a character, which is really disappointing. Instead she's just banging Remy and avoiding her job. Sigh. What a waste.
  • (PS: I am so sorry for the gray zone joke. Please keep reading.)


Chapter Twenty-One:
  • First of all, can we just take a moment to acknowledge how ridiculous an actual bridge from Port Jefferson to Connecticut would be? I don't know much about bridges, but without even looking anything up, I'm 90% positive that it would be the longest bridge in the world. There are bridges all over the country falling apart, particularly in the Tri-State area (I'm looking at you Tappen Zee), but we seriously want to focus on building this absurd bridge across the Long Island Sound? If I had to guess I'd say the Sound is about twenty miles wide. And it takes an hour to cross by ferry. Knowing that, I don't even want to consider the immensity of this bridge and actually driving across it, as convenient as that would be. Not to mention that I'm sure both Long Island and Connecticut would riot if this bridge was seriously proposed.  Which begs the question, how is this stupid bridge the key to almost every single issue going on? It's crazy talk!
  • And speaking of bridges, Frank was burning them left and right this episode. He's toeing a dangerous line of throwing steaks into pools, affectionately framing Andrew Jackson's portrait, and fighting with Linda. By the end of the hour we saw that Linda "lost" and is resigning as the President's Chief of Staff. I for one always liked Linda, so I'm sad to see her go. Here's to hoping we see her again soon.
  • Okay so Bus Friend has had a car this whole time!? Then why the hell was she on a bus!? And also, les-be-honest, we all knew that hook-up was coming. Doug is going to either freak out or get even creepier. 
  • Remy Denton and Jackie Sharp? Ship ship. 
  • And lastly, a cheesy tabloid spread is Tusk's big move? Come ON! I know we saw Remy trying to dig as much dirt up on Claire as he could--whether it was buying her old assistant Starbucks or buying a gallery's worth of paintings from Adam Galloway's underling--but the big scandal he's uncovering is an alleged tabloid worthy affair? Please. I mean, you and I both know that sex scandals are huge in the political world. They can be game changers. But all this is doing is discrediting Claire. Frank is the scorned spouse in this situation. He's the Hillary Clinton. The Elizabeth Edwards. The Huma Abedin. Yes this is only being used as a distraction more than an actual blow to Frank, so I have to think Tusk/Remy have something else to play. Otherwise this is really anticlimactic.


Chapter Twenty-Two:
  • Well that was a decent enough episode that happened to be directed by Jodie Foster. (Foster also directed "Lesbian Request Denied, a standout episode of Netflix's other hit series Orange is the New Black. I believe she is directing various episodes of television hoping to hone her skills so as to direct a feature film in the near future. Based on this episode as well as her work on Orange, I would absolutely be interested in any film Jodie Foster chooses to oversee.)
  • So this hour had bookends of a sort with Freddy stomping on a roach in the opening shot and then snuffing out a cigarette with his foot in the final scene. As for the roach, there was a lot of pest eradication this episode. And as we know about roaches, they're impossible to kill and there's never only one. This was reflected in how hard Tusk was trying to crush Frank, and how hard it proved for the Underwoods to subdue Galloway. 
  • As for Tusk, he is coming off slightly more intimidating and dangerous at this point because he feels the threat and frustration of dealing with Frank. I'm sure he wishes he could make Frank extinct like that pesky Carolina parakeet he referenced at the end of last season. That was definitely the impression I got from his sudden snapping in two of his own irritating pet bird. As well as his not so subtle threat to the nosy reporter that paid him a visit. Tusk is getting so desperate and unpredictable that even Remy is having a hard time delivering. And I simply don't see Tusk coming out of this gracefully. 
  • I would have to say Pride was the deadly sin of the hour. Galloway's pride was the most on display as he was hurt by Claire's televised lies and how he struggled to go along with the Underwoods' plan. Meanwhile Doug pridefully put Seth in his place while Freddy had to surrender his own pride and joy. Not to mention Tusk putting a prideful journalist in her place and Frank frankly asking the audience whether he should be proud or terrified of Claire's insistence on making Tusk suffer. (The answer is, "both.")
  • As for Claire, she was ice cold this episode. From implying that being upset would be a waste of energy--an idea Freddy seemed to be channeling when he refused to take a memento-- to telling Galloway that she will bury him, and to advising her husband that "when we care, it blinds us." It was almost too easy for Claire to throw Galloway under the bus while it seemed Frank genuinely struggled to do the same to Freddy.
  • But I definitely felt sad when Freddy told Frank that he was just a good customer and that he didn't need to pretend to be Freddy's friend. We got a look into Freddy's life this episode. I'm not going to say it was worth all the exposition, but it definitely worked in making that statement sting a little worse than it otherwise would have.


Chapter Twenty-Three:
  • From the storm on the television at the start of the episode, we knew the climate was about to get choppy. So batten down the hatches because this boat is about to get rocky for everyone on board.
  • There was essentially a two pronged stand-off being navigated in this installment: the Chinese/Japanese tension being dealt with in the situation room as well as our reliable stand-by tension brewing between Tusk and Frank. After suggesting hard diplomatic solutions in the situation room, Frank was awfully eager to get aggressive and use his last resort option in regards to Tusk. And as Doug mentioned, it's a risky move because it makes Frank vulnerable as well as the President and the Democrats. The missile may be trained on Tusk, but the fall out is likely to sweep across everyone. If anything maybe this would lead to some vital campaign finance reform (which would officially make House of Cards a fantasy series, right?)
  • As we saw last season, Frank knows how to use the media to his benefit. I was nervous our nosy reporter might be in harms way when she first started snooping. And while she very much is in harms way, she's in Tusk's crosshairs instead of Frank's. Obviously this is because of the nature of the story. 
  • Claire trying to get Frank to smoke a cigarette, saying, "Come on. It's not fun doing it alone," manages to sum up their entire relationship in just one simple scene.
  • What kind of guy do we think Remy is? Do you think he's going to sell out his lover Jackie to the likes of Tusk, or do you think he's going to spare her and come up with some other tactic entirely? This being House of Cards means it's awfully likely Remy will swallow any affection he has and take Jackie down. And frankly, Jackie kind of has it coming.
  • Lastly, it now seems The McPoyle Brothers (AKA Gavin and Cashew the Guinea Pig) are honing in on Doug. Poor creepy Doug can't catch a break, can he? His pretend girlfriend is a lesbian, an even creepier Seth is threatening his position with the Vice President, and now an FBI informant is on his tail. Look alive, Doug! Don't you know you're flying full throttle into a hurricane? 


Chapter Twenty-Four:
  • I am done. DONE. Done with this ridiculous show.
  • Except not really.
  • So it seems like the eleventh episodes of the season are where House of Cards likes to go off the deep end and do "shocking" things. Last season the eleventh episode culminated in Russo's murder at the hands of Frank, while this season it culminates in a threesome between Frank, Claire, and Meechum the Pool Boy Secret Service Agent. But we really shouldn't be surprised because Meechum has been working up to this moment all season long--ever since he gifted Frank those very special, not so subtle, FU cufflinks.
  • As I watched, I lost my mind like I did with Peter Russo's demise last year--I mean how do you not react to these sorts of things?-- but I also wasn't too surprised because by now I'm used to the cockamamie things this show does to get attention and be "edgy". And like last year, I have my plausibility questions. For instance, I have to wonder, where the hell is the rest of Frank and Claire's security detail? Were they all just hanging out downstairs listening to all this go on? Do they ever make regular rounds throughout the house? Or even outside it? I mean Doug got a show, why not the rest of the secret service? How does Meechum still have his job?
  • And the fun doesn't end there. The sexy time wasn't the only soap operatic machination in this episode because, guys, the President is on speed. And I can only hope that when Frank finds out we get this same exact moment
  • Speaking of speed and pills, Claire is totally getting screwed this episode in more ways than one. The First Lady is pulling her public support for the sexual assault bill and Claire can't be the face of this movement, so she put all her eggs in one very unstable, pill-popping basket: Megan, the panicky assault victim from episodes past. I'm glad Megan felt bold enough to speak out and interview, but boy oh boy it doesn't look good for her if her mental/emotional instability is brought to light. Claire can't depend on her and she really has no one else. Especially because Sharp wants nothing to do with the bill.
  • I just can't believe when this episode started I thought it was going to be about Doug and his fall from grace, or Remy and his struggle with Jackie (who he chooses to protect--is it true love?), or Frank's fear and insecurity as he struggles with his feelings of exposure and unease. Yes it involved those stories, but wow did it take a turn. 
  • When Frank's team handed over his schedule, I was half expecting something would come up concerning where Frank was during Russo's "suicide" (I really miss Russo), or his meeting with Tusk last season. But instead we get a suspicious address concerning the President. Is it Tusks? Is it Christina's? Is it the marriage counseling? Is it his drug dealer? Is it Zack Attack practice? Who knows!? Who knows anything anymore?! I don't even know why I bother!


Chapter Twenty-Five:
  • First of all, lets talking about the writing and how this show loves to clunk us over the head with metaphors. This episode in particular would introduce a metaphor and then point to it over and over again to make sure we got the point. Yes, many shows use anecdotes and euphemisms, but for some reason on House of Cards it comes off so forced, transparent, and lacking in nuance, it just becomes distracting.
  • The start of the episode had President Walker saying to Frank, in regards to Floyd Mayweather, "[Boxing] is not about about power, but about tactics, speed, precision, and most importantly the counter punch. He dances and dodges and picks the perfect moment to strike. Does that sound familiar?" And, "I don't see friendship, I see calculation. You set me up." When the monologue started I saw the connection to Frank, we didn't necessarily need The President to explicitly let us in on it. And then just when I thought it was over he goes, "I've learned your moves now." Ughhhhhhhh. Why was it still going on!? They hit us over the head with that for so long, I'm seeing stars.
  • Listen, I get that we needed a scene where The President breaks ties with Frank and calls him out on his calculation, but come on with this. Seriously. It represents everything that is wrong with the writing on this show. Because even when we consider Frank breaking the fourth wall, it makes his character, and everything else, less mysterious. This show hates letting the audience try to figure out characters on their own. Frank will let the audience in on his intentions so there is no moral ambiguity there. And it's boring. There's no guesswork. And now we have The President expressing his betrayal in such clear cut terms that we aren't even left questioning his reasoning or even his mental state. How much better would this show be in general if we weren't exactly sure what Frank was up to? Whether he genuinely cared about a colleague's sick wife or was using sickness to gain some leverage--or perhaps a little bit of both? How much more complex would Frank, and therefore this show, become? Furthermore, what if we weren't sure if the President was of stable mind or not? If we weren't sure whether Walker was right or if he was being paranoid? It truly hinders this show. And that's the difference between a show like House of Cards and a show like say, Mad Men. Mad Men loves to embrace its characters' shadows, it loves keeping everyone and their motivations mysterious, it is always ambiguous, and it never even attempts to explain its ambiguity. And that is absolutely why it is such a fantastic show. I don't really mean to compare and I know it's not necessarily fair (hey, I rhymed!), but maybe House of Cards could learn a thing or two. Because we know the show is capable of holding back. Look at the one character who is shrouded in any semblance of mystery: Clare Underwood. And look at how strong her character is! She's by and large the best thing about this season and it's because we are never exactly sure what she's thinking, what she'll do, or what she is capable of.
  • Speaking of Claire, look at her doing damage control! She is scary good at this game. And she's just as good as her husband at playing politics and manipulation. They are the epitome of a power couple. She tables the sexual assault bill (and abandons panicky Megan in the process--who, lets be real, was way too weak of a poster girl for this whole thing anyway) so as to get back in the First Lady's good graces and try to repair the rupture between the Underwoods and the Walkers. And it's a key step in Frank's plan to impeach the President.
  • Which, really? We're going to impeach the President now? This is all going to be based on how Walker looks weak? How he's in marriage counseling? Or are we somehow going to make up the fact that he was aware of this whole money laundering deal? Maybe the medication, but impeachment? I don't know about that. 
  • And now Frank is going to become President without ever having to campaign or win an election? Why? So he can be President for two years? Because then he WILL have to campaign. Hard. And good luck with that when your wife is a whore and a baby killer. But say he DOES end up in the Oval Office, and say he DOES win a second term, then what, Frank? You've reached the top of the mountain! Where else is there to go? You want this because you're power hungry, not out of any sense of duty or ideology. So what happens when you've eaten up all the power? What's next? I just really don't get it. 
  • But I do like how he is involving Jackie Sharp (I really wish Jackie was given something more to do this season besides lie on her back, so this ought to be interesting). Because apparently, according to Frank, the Civil War model Impeachment Plan is, "something I've been working on for a very long time. And it's nearly finished. Jackie, help us finish it." Ugh, again with the metaphors that go on too long. Without that last line, that would have been such a strong ending to the penultimate episode.

Chapter Twenty-Six:
  • For all my frustrations with this show, its really hard to deny it when things come together, when it can still surprise you, and when its sticking to what it does best. And while Frank is by no means a hero, it is weirdly satisfying seeing him relish where and how he ended up by the end of the finale. But let's start at the beginning.
  • Actually, I almost don't even know where to begin. I might be burnt out at this point because the only note I wrote down at the beginning of the episode was, "Ohhhh so now Everybody Love Raymond." But I will admit it was fun seeing Walker, Tusk, and Frank all change their tune from one scene to the next.
  • Really the most intriguing thing for me this episode, as it is with most episodes, was Claire. Why Megan's mom decided to call her, I have no idea. But regardless, Claire jumped out of bed and flew off to pay panicky broke down Megan a visit. And at first I couldn't tell if it was really getting to Claire or if she just felt awkward about the whole situation. But by Claire's own breakdown later on the stairs, it is clear that she continues to have moments of self awareness and regret. Similar to her second thoughts about being childless last season, this season she seems to be having second thoughts on what and who she has sacrificed for the sake of power. Trisha tells Claire she is a good person. You and I both know that is far from the truth. But one thing I've always loved about this character are her glimmers of humanity and complexity. And this all led to what was probably my favorite moment in the episode:
  • "Seduce him. Give him your heart. Cut it out and put it in his fucking hands." That was Claire's advice to her husband in regards to getting back in The President's good graces. And clearly she was speaking from her own experiences. That was exactly what Claire did in regards to Trisha and even Megan. And this episode it was really affecting her, but its what she has done to survive. Frank ends up taking her advice and following her lead all the way to The Oval Office.
  • But can I say, Robin Wright killed it this season, and especially this episode. Breaking Bad's Anna Gunn better watch out come Emmy Awards because Robin Wright was straight up superb this season. Award season is going to be very interesting since these are two very talented actresses very much worthy of all the awards. (I'd personally give it to Gunn, but if it went to Wright, I don't think I could argue against it.)
  • As for the typewritten letter, that was a bold move on the part of Frank. Like Trisha said earlier in the episode, "The truth is a powerful thing" and Frank was trying to use sincerity and secrets to appeal to the President's heart. Who knows if any of the letter was truthful, but Frank played it like it all was, and we saw how that worked out for him.
  • So a lot of character's stories were left open ended by the end of the episode--well besides creepy Doug (RIP). Remy is at a crossroads. Jackie is still Whip but is definitely owed a favor by President Underwood (VP perhaps?). Rachel is on the run and probably more screwed up then ever. Seth is currently Press Secretary (AKA Frank's CJ Cregg and I can only wonder if he's going to continue down that CJ career path to Chief of Staff.) Cashew is still squeaking. Feng is a dead man. Tusk has some legit facial hair. Janine is in Ithaca (?). Lucas is in jail. Christina is unemployed (maybe). And Mecheem is DTF.
  • I really don't have much more to say about this episode or this season. I'll probably recap with some final thoughts later in the week. But I will say at this moment that I preferred House of Card's first season to it's second. Zoe Barnes be damned, I preferred the political maneuvering of last season over the civil war for influence, scandal covering, and back-channeling of this season. But more importantly, I preferred Peter Russo and his story and I desperately miss what his character brought to the show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment